Sunday, October 21, 2007

procrastination

I have done nothing today. Not quite true. I just haven't done any work. I can't get myself to read for my colonialism/postcolonialism class. I know that I wont' have any chance to say anything about it in class - the prof does not encourage discussion - and the important readings are all pdfs/word files that I can print out tomorrow at work for free. And I always remember more when I can write all over the pages anyways. (Do you like the elaborate construction of excuses?)

So instead, I slept til noon (thank you advil pm), talked to friends, went to the produce store, avoided buying pastries from the nuns despite deep desire for sweets, and made a chile relleno casserole care of mom's recipe. Of course, the recipe didn't include specifications as to type of chiles and the only ones I had in the cabinet were chipotles which I didnt even think about. So despite the delicious top of the casserole, it was impossibly spicy, which then necessitated making rice and beans.... and now Brothers and Sisters is on so of course I can't do anything.

I have been vaguely downloading articles and skimming with tv on in the background all day. But really, it's the same problem I had in college. I can't make myself work for a class I don't care about.

Yesterday I did get a lot of reading done. Including the infuriating Empire's Workshop by Greg Grandin. Infuriating in many ways, both in its material and the manner in which it's written. If you feel like hating Republicans even more, it's a perfect book. Essentially, it's an account of US intervention in Latin America over the last 40-odd years and how what happened then provided a good learning experience for what's happening now. Not only in terms of policies military, economic, and otherwise, but also actual individuals who have been executing and refining these policies since forever ago. And the final chapter is all about how none of these policies have worked, and, in fact, have worsened social and economic conditions pretty much throughout. Of course I have problems with the book, especially in terms of its presentation of its project and the sweeping statements it makes regarding Latin American responses/weakness, but at least it's straight forward in declaring its intentions.

not muches:
wearing a skirt in october without needing tights (perhaps also a bit frightening, but pleasant nonetheless)
running into people I know and can say hello to when out walking (small steps!)

No comments: