Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Persuasion

alright, a bit of a cop out in that Jane Austen is a bit obvious, and i'm going to talk about the movie, too, but here it goes....


i love pride and prejudice, sense and sensibility of course, but somehow persuasion is the one i care for the most. not always the one i turn to when i need comforting, but it's the one i believe the most. and the movie version is incredible - quiet and nuanced and careful, just like anne. and the scene when captain wentworth and anne finally admit their love is perfection... tiny hand in enormous hand walking away from the circus .... the book is the same way, less of the overt humor, fewer cutting remarks, more staid and mature. romantic in a more mature way, for anne has almost given up, and more historically situated in the napoleonic era. anyways, sorry if that makes no sense, but i could do with a good dose of persuasion right now.

1 comment:

Christy Lou Who said...

oh my Lord, I thought I was the only one who loved Persuasion best! A woman I work with couldn't believe I would pick it over pride and prejudice but I love Austen's tone and wit in this book more than the others for some reason.
(Btw, I found you through NaBlo so hopefully it doesn't freak you out some random girl is commenting about Austen to you and I'm realllly sorry if it does)