Thursday, March 20, 2008

springtime....

i have my morning routine. it's not terribly unusual - shower, put the tea kettle on, move my computer to the kitchen table and turn on npr, steep the tea, find some cereal/granola, consume all together while catching up on news/blogs. rita's not generally here when i get up, or she's still asleep. it's lovely.

is it strange that the messing up of this schedule in my dream last night upset me so much? that i found myself sitting on the curb outside because it didn't work? the dream was odd enough as it was - rita and i were sharing two apartments in arcata, one that only had one bedroom, so i was sleeping at another apartment where we only had use of the bedroom. that was what messed up the morning schedule. all my things were at the shared apartment on the hsu side of the freeway, but waking up at the other, which was near the plaza, sent me for a loop. and then nancy diamond showed up to ask me about dorae's harp lessons and jody showed up to get me to help corral the children in teh back yard to avoid the floating surfboards and keep them away from the giant strawberries. overall, terribly disconcerting. and, throughout the dream, i kept thinking that had i had my tea, granola, and npr, it would have all been fine.

speaking of npr, i still listen to my hometown station rather than the chicago station, whenever possible. obviously, morning edition happens two hours later there than here, meaning when i wake up at 9, i can still catch most of the show. it's perfect. i also get to hear the community calendar and long for my small town joys... annual plant sale, concerts, craft fairs... somehow i'll find that community sense wherever i end up. i hope.


Happy Spring!

1 comment:

Kate B said...

KHSU is excellent.
I wish I had had a computer in Boston, because the station there is not half as nice. Maybe familiarity is the important thing about radio, though.