Thursday, February 21, 2008

churning it out

apologies for the proliferation of amusing article posts...

the first draft of my seminar paper was due on weds morning, as our prof is leaving for oaxaca for three weeks, only arriving back here a week before the final draft is due. jealously for the fact that he's going somewhere warm and more than a bit of frustration with the fact that the person who knows my project best is leaving.

i'm a first year grad student. this is more than a little frightening. writing my thesis last year my advisor held my hand, read every draft, met with me once, twice, three times a week, gave me her home phone number and responded to midnight emails by the next morning. i'm just not sure how to do this all by myself. i guess that's what grad school is for!

i think js and i at least will read each other's papers... and i should really go talk to mauricio considering he's my second reader, but after the horrible experience i had with him last meeting, somehow i'm dreading doing so.

getting the draft done was a big first step. only moments of panic and stopped working on it at 8pm tuesday night. it's something i'm not ashamed to have read as a first draft, despite the bits and pieces missing, the disjunctures, the question marks instead of citations.

now i'm taking a day or two off from even looking at it... my brain was too much in the middle of it to have any perspective. i'll pick it back up sunday or monday and go from there.

in the meantime, here's to restaurant week, oscars, and an upcoming birthday! many excuses to celebrate with good food and friends!

No comments: